Skip to content?
Tertiary Education Dispute Resolution home page
More languages coming soon

Who can use our service

Find our if you can access our dispute resolution service

This explains how you can start your dispute resolution journey with us. You need to be a learner with a contractual dispute with a provider and you need to have tried to resolve the dispute directly with the provider.

Who can use our service?

To use our services, you need to be a domestic learner, you need to have a contractual or financial dispute with a tertiary education provider and you have to have tried to resolve your dispute with them directly. 

Here are the three questions you need to answer when you contact us.

1. Are you a learner?

You are a learner if you:

  • are a domestic tertiary student enrolled by the provider,

  • are a former domestic tertiary student enrolled by the provider;

  • intend to be, or is in the process of being, enrolled by the provider as a domestic tertiary student;

You can also access our service if you are acting with the consent of a learner and you are

  • a legal guardian, parent, caregiver, or family group member of that learner.

If you are not a domestic student but an international student then please contact iStudent Complaints. If you have any questions get in touch with us.

2. Is there a contractual or financial dispute with a tertiary education provider?

At this stage, we can only resolve contractual or financial disputes.

Contractual is about what was agreed between you and your tertiary education provider and whether the people have done what they agreed to do. This is generally set out in a a written agreement between the learner and the provider and the dispute can include what was written down and also what is implied by the agreement.

Financial means it is about money and it generally involves a dispute about who has to pay (or refund) money to the other person.

3. Have you tried to resolve your dispute directly with your provider?

Before we become formally involved, you need to try and resolve the dispute directly with your provider. Each provider has their own internal process. It might be called a complaints process or a dispute resolution process. You need to try to use this process first. If you don't know how to access this internal process, then get in touch with us and we'll try to help connect you to the right person.

We can also become involved in some circumstances if the provider has been given a reasonable opportunity to resolve the dispute.

Contact us to discuss your options

You can contact us to discuss your situation and how we can help. If you answer yes to all three questions then we can help you resolve the dispute. Even if we cannot help resolve your dispute, we may be able to help connect you with the right people who can.

Lodging your dispute for resolution

You can apply to lodge your dispute with us.